Gas leak from goods train disrupts railway traffic in Navi Mumbai’s Panvel station, authorities avert mishap

Gas leak from goods train disrupts railway traffic in Navi Mumbai’s Panvel station, authorities avert mishap

Navi Mumbai: A gas leak from one of the pressure wagons of a goods train put rail traffic movement out of gear late on Saturday evening at Panvel railway station till midnight. The goods train was moving from JNPA to Raipur, Chhattisgarh.The train was stopped at Panvel railway station platform number 5 before being taken to Kalamboli to check the leakage. The platform was evacuated for safety reasons.A Panvel railway station official said, “The incident was reported at around 10 am. BPCL officials and gas leak experts had arrived at the station to check the leak within half an hour.”Upon learning about the gas leak, the railway authorities alerted Panvel fire brigade. For safety reasons, two trains moving towards the down direction (Goa/JNPA) were halted much ahead of the station. Also, two more trains were red-signalled to stop ahead of the railway station. The fire brigade team assessed the situation.Govt Railway Police stormed into action with adequate precautionary measures and also reduced the rush. After arresting the leak, the goods train moved towards Kalamboli station where further safety checks and allied measures were completed. Later, the goods train moved towards its destination.The timely intervention has resulted in averting a major mishap. However, the incident did not have any impact on the services of the suburban trains.

Eleven people, including 7 children suffer food poisoning after eating birthday cake in Mumbai; dead lizard allegedly found

Eleven people, including 7 children suffer food poisoning after eating birthday cake in Mumbai; dead lizard allegedly found

Nalasopara: Eleven people, including seven children and four women, reportedly suffered food poisoning after eating a birthday cake at a party in Nalasopara East on Saturday evening. Three of the children are undergoing treatment in the intensive care unit (ICU). The children later alleged that they found a dead lizard in the cake.The incident took place at Neelkantheshwar building in Taki Pada, Nalasopara East, where a 25-year-old woman was celebrating her birthday on Saturday. The cake had been purchased from Chamunda Cake Shop in the same locality. FDA officials inspected the cake shop and seized five cakes from the premises for testing. “Further action will be taken after the cakes are tested,” said FDA assistant commissioner Vyankat Chavan.Several children from the neighbourhood had gathered for the party. The cake was cut around 6 pm and served to those present. Soon after eating it, some of the children complained of a burning sensation in their chests and started vomiting. The children allegedly told their family members that they had found a dead lizard in the cake. They were immediately rushed to nearby Vijayalaxmi Hospital. All 11 people who had eaten the cake reportedly suffered food poisoning, including seven children and four women. Three children are currently being treated in the ICU.“We started treatment immediately. The condition of all the patients is stable now,” said Dr Vidya Sawant of Vijayalaxmi Hospital. On Sunday, Mayor Ajiv Patil visited the hospital and met the affected children.

Tempo driver arrested with fake mineral transport permits in Mumbai

Tempo driver arrested with fake mineral transport permits in Mumbai

Mumbai: The city crime branch arrested a 36-year-old tempo driver from Mankhurd for allegedly possessing and distributing fake minor mineral transport permits used to evade govt royalties and cause revenue loss to the state exchequer.Unit 3 of the crime branch arrested Nizamuddin Tahruddin Sheikh alias Najju, following a trap laid on a tip-off received from a confidential informant. Police said they received information that fake “Royalty TP” minor mineral transport permits were being prepared and circulated for illegal transportation of minerals. A team led by police inspector Nilesh More conducted a surveillance operation near Ramalingam Lunch Home and Bar at New Mandala, Mankhurd.At around 11.05 pm, the informant identified Sheikh, who was intercepted by the police team. During a search of a black plastic bag in his possession, officers allegedly recovered four books containing fake minor mineral transport permit receipts purportedly issued by the Raigad District Mining Office.The seized books contained a total of 400 permit receipts, complete with serial numbers, barcodes, official-looking seals and details resembling genuine transport permits issued by Revenue and Forest Department. Police suspect the documents were intended for illegal transportation of minor minerals while avoiding payment of govt royalty charges.During further questioning, Sheikh allegedly told investigators that the fake permit books had been prepared by Sangharsh Sugire of Vasai and were meant to be delivered to Imran Khan of Navi Mumbai. He also allegedly admitted that similar forged permits had been supplied earlier for use by dumpers transporting minerals.Investigators are now probing the extent of the forgery racket, the number of fake permits circulated and the revenue loss caused to govt.

MSEDCL cracks down on power theft, uncovers over 19,500 cases across Maharashtra

MSEDCL cracks down on power theft, uncovers over 19,500 cases across Maharashtra
(Image used for representative) MSEDCL intensified its power theft drive over four months, detecting 19,599 cases

MUMBAI: State power utility MSEDCL on Sunday said it has intensified its drive against power theft, detecting 19,599 cases across domestic, commercial, industrial and other consumer categories over the past four months. Of these, 11,032 cases were detected in July alone, highlighting the scale of electricity theft in the state.According to MSEDCL, inspections conducted since April found 15,965 cases involving direct hooking of power lines or tampering with electricity meters, resulting in power theft worth Rs 30.36 crore. Assessment of another 3,634 cases is still underway.The anti-theft campaign was launched in April as part of efforts to reduce distribution and commercial losses. The highest number of theft cases were detected in the Konkan region (7,496), followed by Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar (4,597), Nagpur (4,521) and Pune (2,985) regions.Of the cases assessed so far, MSEDCL has issued electricity theft bills amounting to Rs 30.36 crore. Around 6,629 consumers have paid Rs 14.12 crore, while penalties and settlement charges are also being levied. The utility has recovered Rs 1.85 crore in compounding charges in 4,959 cases so far.The drive gathered momentum in July, when MSEDCL intensified field inspections and detected 11,032 fresh cases of theft through illegal hooks and meter tampering. Assessments in 8,462 cases established theft worth Rs 15.11 crore, and corresponding bills have been issued. Consumers involved in 3,036 cases have already paid Rs 6.22 crore, while assessments and penalty calculations continue in the remaining cases.Region-wise, July detections included 4,084 cases in Konkan, 2,365 in Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar, 2,324 in Nagpur and 2,259 in Pune.MSEDCL managing director Lokesh Chandra warned that consumers who fail to pay the assessed amounts and penalties within the stipulated period will face criminal action under Section 135 of the Electricity Act, 2003. The law provides for fines and imprisonment of up to three years for power theft.The utility is also inspecting disconnected connections and taking action against defaulters found illegally sourcing electricity from other locations.

Mumbai Metro One becomes first in India to issue metro passes through WhatsApp

Mumbai Metro One becomes first in India to issue metro passes through WhatsApp
Commuters in Mumbai can now enjoy the convenience of purchasing and managing their metro passes through WhatsApp, thanks to Mumbai Metro One’s latest upgrade

MUMBAI: Mumbai Metro One has become the first metro service in India to issue metro passes entirely through WhatsApp. Commuters can now buy, store and use metro passes directly through WhatsApp, with support for Google Wallet and Apple Wallet.Mumbai Metro One on Sunday introduced a fully digital Metro Pass system that allows commuters travelling on the Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar corridor to purchase, store and use their metro passes directly through WhatsApp, marking a significant step in the evolution of urban mobility solutions in the city.The service builds on the operator’s WhatsApp e-ticketing platform, launched in November 2022, which already allows commuters to book QR-based single-journey tickets digitally.Purchasing a pass is a simple three-step process. Commuters need to send “Hi” to Mumbai Metro One’s WhatsApp number (+91 9670008889), select “Book Now”, choose the Digital Pass option and complete the payment. The pass is issued instantly and can be used immediately.A senior Metro-1 official said: “The newly launched Digital Pass enables passengers to access both Trip Passes and Store Value Passes without the need for a physical card or a separate mobile application. The pass can be conveniently added to Google Wallet and Apple Wallet, allowing commuters to access and use it directly from their smartphones.”The Digital Pass offers two flexible options to suit different travel needs. The Trip Pass enables commuters with regular travel patterns to purchase a predefined number of journeys in advance, while the Store Value Pass allows users to load an amount of their choice, with fares automatically deducted after every trip.“The platform has been developed and facilitated by Billeasy, while PayU India provides the digital payment infrastructure, enabling secure transactions through UPI, debit cards and credit cards,” the official said.He further said that Mumbai Metro One, which completed 12 years of operations in June this year and has carried more than 125 crore passengers, believes the initiative reinforces its commitment to technology-driven, customer-centric mobility solutions.By reducing dependence on physical tickets and shortening queues at stations, the Digital Pass is expected to make daily travel more seamless and convenient for millions of Mumbaikars.

Cops recover 22kg stolen silver after 4 held in Kanpur

Cops recover 22kg stolen silver after 4 held in Kanpur

MUMBAI: City police have arrested four men, including a former scrap dealer’s employee, for allegedly stealing 22kg of silver, cash and two mobile phones worth Rs 46.4 lakh from a Sakinaka workshop.Scrap dealer Mohammed Khan, 31, said the silver was recovered while dismantling a 25-year-old railway engine bought through a govt tender from Daund railway station.He said the engine contained pure silver, stored at the workshop with cash. Police said the burglary was planned by Ramzan Maqsud Sah, 20, who quit the workshop a day earlier.Sah and three accomplices allegedly broke in at night, reached the mezzanine floor while 14 workers slept, and fled with the valuables.The theft was discovered on July 26. CCTV and technical analysis placed Sah at Kurla Terminus, and police suspected he had boarded the Gorakhpur Express.A team flew to Kanpur and arrested Sah and Jishan Abdul Sabub Khan, 21, from the train on July 27, recovering all stolen property. The other two accused were arrested in Mumbai.

Why FDA notices Shah Rukh, Ajay Devgn, Tiger Shroff

'Linked to prohibited pan masala brand': Why FDA notices Shah Rukh, Ajay Devgn, Tiger Shroff
FDA has issued a formal show cause notice to Shah Rukh Khan, Tiger Shroff and Ajay Devgn for their role in advertisements Vimal Elaichi brand.

MUMBAI: FDA has issued a formal show cause notice to Shah Rukh Khan, Tiger Shroff and Ajay Devgn for their role in advertisements Vimal Elaichi brand, alleging that this is masked to promote Vimal Pan Masala, which is banned in the state.The notice states that the ad is in circulation via YouTube and allied media platforms.The administration added that Vimal Pan Masala is a product prohibited for manufacture, storage, transportation, distribution and sale in Maharashtra under a Prohibition Order issued by FDA commissioner Tukaram Mundhe.They said that using the expression “Vimal Elaichi” creates an association with the prohibited Vimal Pan Masala brand, potentially misleading consumers and serving as an indirect or surrogate promotion of a restricted tobacco-related product.The actors are instructed to immediately discontinue their participation, remove the advertisements from their social media and digital platforms and cease further promotional cooperation.Furthermore, they are required to furnish complete details regarding due diligence, endorsement contracts, distribution channels, and proof of whether Vimal Elaichi is an independent product available for sale.They are also asked to submit a written explanation with supporting documents within 15 days of receiving the notice.“In the event that no explanation is received within the stipulated period, or if the explanation furnished is found to be unsatisfactory, further action may be initiated…,” the notice states.

Navy sailor, two children found dead; probe on

Mumbai shocker: Navy sailor, two children found dead; probe on
A sailor and his two young children were discovered deceased at their Mumbai residence (Image used for representational purpose only)

MUMBAI: A sailor and his two children, aged two months and three years, were found dead at their residence in Mumbai’s Navy Nagar, prompting a detailed investigation by police.According to preliminary information, the sailor is suspected to have died by suicide by hanging. The bodies of the two children were also found inside the residence.Prima facie findings indicate that poisoning may have caused the deaths of the children. However, officials cautioned that the exact cause of death will be confirmed only after post-mortem and forensic examination reports are received.Police have launched an investigation and are examining all possible angles. The bodies have been sent for post-mortem examination, and forensic evidence is being collected from the scene.Investigators are recording statements of family members, neighbours and other relevant witnesses to ascertain the sequence of events leading to the deaths. The circumstances that led to the suspected suicide and the deaths of the children are yet to be established.Police said the investigation is ongoing and further details are awaited.

Largest-ever military pipe band display marks 80 years of India’s Independence

Largest-ever military pipe band display marks 80 years of India’s Independence
A grand Military Pipe Band display celebrated 80 years of India’s Independence.

MUMBAI: As part of celebrations marking 80 years of India’s Independence, a grand Military Pipe Band display featuring 15 JAK LI and the Artillery Centre Band was held in Mumbai, drawing a gathering of over 40,000 people.15 JAK LI and the Artillery Centre Band performed stirring martial tunes and patriotic compositions, creating an atmosphere of national pride and enthusiasm.The musical programme was further enriched by singers Gul Saxena,Anil Bajpai,Pranav Deherker and Sanjay Kumar whose renditions of patriotic songs captivated the gathering and kept the large audience engaged.The event curated by Colonel Vijay Kumar (Retd) and organised by 15 JAK LI under aegis of Hq Maharashtra Gujarat and Goa Area, billed as the largest-ever Military Pipe Band display, brought together military musical traditions and civilian participation on an unprecedented scale.The grand spectacle culminated at Mumbai’s iconic Gateway of India with a visually striking LED display, as illuminated performers and pipe band personnel created coordinated light formations while the martial tunes continued, adding a spectacular visual dimension to the finale.The combined performance by 15 JAK LI, the Artillery Centre Band, and the civilian artistes created a memorable celebration of patriotism, bringing together the Armed Forces and citizens in marking eight decades of India’s Independence.

Maharashtra sets up expert panel to review private university norms

Maharashtra sets up expert panel to review private university norms
Admission procedures, reservation policies, fee fixation, grievance redressal mechanisms and recruitment and pay norms for teaching and non-teaching staff will also come under its review

Mumbai: The state govt has set up a high-level expert committee to review and overhaul the norms governing the establishment and functioning of private universities in the state in a govt resolution (GR) issued on Friday. The six-member expert committee will be headed by former UGC vice-chairman Bhushan Patwardhan. The committee has been asked to review the infrastructure requirements for private universities, including land, buildings, laboratories, digital facilities, hostels, among others.The committee will also look at the academic credentials and experience of institutions seeking to establish universities, including their NAAC accreditation, National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) rankings, autonomous status, faculty strength, research publications and patents. Private universities in the state are currently governed by the Maharashtra Private Universities (Establishment and Regulation) Act, 2023, the regulations framed in 2024. The GR also highlighted the shortcomings and gaps in the existing regulatory framework. The govt has directed the committee to complete its review and submit its recommendations within two months.Admission procedures, reservation policies, fee fixation, grievance redressal mechanisms and recruitment and pay norms for teaching and non-teaching staff will also come under its review. The committee has been tasked with reviewing the infrastructure requirements for private universities, including land, buildings, laboratories, libraries, digital facilities, hostels, sports infrastructure and accessibility for persons with disabilities.The panel will also review compliance with statutory regulators such as the UGC, AICTE, PCI and BCI and recommend amendments to bring the state’s framework in line with the UGC Act, 1956, and the National Education Policy 2020.The committee has further been asked to incorporate directions issued by courts in matters concerning private higher education institutions.Former Savitribai Phule Pune University vice-chancellor Nitin Karmalkar is among the members. The panel will also include the joint/deputy secretary (university education) in the higher and technical education department, directors of technical education, arts and higher education, with the director of higher education serving as member secretary.