Chandivli residents announce ‘havan’ protest over 90-Feet road delay

Chandivli residents announce ‘havan’ protest over 90-Feet road delay
Despite a tender being officially floated three years ago, work has not progressed. The residents are demanding swift action from the BMC regarding the DP road

Mumbai: Frustrated by the long delay in completion of the 90-Feet Road , which connects Chandivli Farm Road to Jogeshwari-Vikhroli Link Road (JVLR), the Chandivali Citizens Welfare Association (CCWA) has announced a ‘Sadbuddhi Havan’ as a symbolic protest.Despite a tender being officially floated three years ago, work has not progressed. The residents are demanding swift action from the BMC regarding the DP road. ”We have written letters, submitted petitions, held peaceful protests, and even sat on a hunger strike. Having approached politicians and bureaucrats across all levels with no result, we are left with no choice but to appeal to God to grant sadbuddhi (good sense) to the authorities,” said Mandeep Singh Makkar, founder of CCWA.According to Makkar, in 2023, the residents had carried out a hunger strike to highlight the dire need for this road. “In response, the BMC promised that a tender had been issued and the work would be completed soon,” he said.

RPF books man over Bhayander rail bridge stunt

RPF books man over Bhayander rail bridge stunt

Bhayander: A video purportedly showing a group of youths performing dangerous stunts on the Bhayander railway creek bridge has gone viral on social media, prompting Railway Protection Force (RPF) to register a case against an unidentified person.The video shows the youths hanging from an iron safety mesh installed along the railway bridge and doing pull-ups apparently while a local train passes beneath them. The incident has raised questions over how the youths managed to enter the highly sensitive railway premises. Bhayander RPF registered a case against an unidentified person on Wednesday under Sections 145 and 147 of the Railways Act.Meanwhile, officials are also examining whether the video is genuine or has been created or edited using artificial intelligence (AI). Police are probing when and where the video was shot and who recorded it, said senior inspector Ganpat Tumbada of Bhayandar railway police station. Efforts are underway to identify the youths and verify the authenticity of the video.

HC says Maharashtra govt must pay Rs 30 lakh compensation to kin of deceased sanitation workers

HC says Maharashtra govt must pay Rs 30 lakh compensation to kin of deceased sanitation workers

Mumbai: The Bombay high court on Thursday set aside the state govt’s decision that discriminated against sanitation workers who worked under private employment and died while engaged in the work of manual scavenging. The court held that each such worker’s kin were entitled to receive Rs 30 lakh compensation.Justices Bharati Dangre and Manjusha Deshpande directed the state govt to identify within six months persons who had died while engaged in hazardous cleaning as defined under a section of the Manual Scavengers and Their Rehabilitation Act, 2013. Upon identification, the state government shall pay compensation of Rs 30 lakh to the dependants of each such deceased person in terms of a 2025 Supreme Court judgment, they added.The petition was filed by Shramik Janata Sangh, a workers’ union, along with Raju Madhve, the father of Suraj, a worker who died while cleaning a septic tank in a Mumbra housing society in 2022, and activist Shreyas Pande. They urged the high court to set aside item 11 in the Dec 2019 GR that determined authorities who will pay compensation.Senior advocate Gayatri Singh, with advocate Sudha Bharadwaj, for the petitioners, had argued that item 11 had made private societies liable to pay compensation on death instead of the state or local authorities. They said according to SC’s 2025 judgment, the authorities concerned were responsible for ensuring compensation to dependents of the deceased instead of making private societies liable to pay it. They said the authorities could subsequently recover the amount from the private parties.The judges set aside item 11, along with an April 30, 2025, GR, “in so far as it discriminates against the sanitation workers working at the private establishments under the private contractors as compared to their counterparts working under the state government or state undertakings”.They said that as a consequence of setting aside item number 11, “the sanitation workers in the private sector shall be entitled to compensation from the state government, which can later be recovered from the funds of the respective employers”.The judges directed that the dependants of four deceased sanitation workers whose case the petitioners had espoused—Devidas Chandrakant, Mahadev Zope, Suraj Madhve and Ghanshyam Kori—shall be entitled for compensation from Thane Municipal Corporation “if not already compensated”. As the judgment was pronounced in chambers, a copy was not uploaded at the time of going to press.

Congress to hold 10-day training camp for party’s Maharashtra district chiefs in Nashik, Rahul Gandhi likely to attend

Congress to hold 10-day training camp for party’s Maharashtra district chiefs in Nashik, Rahul Gandhi likely to attend
Rahul Gandhi is likely to participate in the 10-day residential training camp for Congress district presidents of Maharashtra to be held in Nashik from August 24 to September 2

Mumbai: Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi is likely to participate in Congress party’s 10-day residential training camp for its Maharashtra district presidents to be held in Nashik from August 24 to September 2. Congress said the programme would focus on the changing social and political landscape, understanding the importance of direct engagement with people, organisational preparedness and leadership development.Several national- and state-level party leaders, along with Maharashtra Congress president Harshvardhan Sapkal, will guide the participants during the camp, which will include detailed discussions on the party’s vision and direction for the future, the challenges it is facing, organisational preparedness, its ideology and its role in the country’s political landscape.The camp also will focus on questions, expectations, issues and political perspectives of workers from the new generation, with interactions aimed at strengthening their understanding of the party and its organisational functioning. The training programme was designed around the broader vision of ‘A New Generation, New Leadership and a Strong Organisation’.

Man from Maharashtra arrested for murdering wife

Man from Maharashtra arrested for murdering wife

Mumbai: Kurar Police have arrested Akash Salunke who was on the run after the murder of his wife, Suchita, on Sunday. Akash had initially got an injured Suchita admitted to a hospital on Sunday, claiming she was injured. He later fled from the hospital. An autopsy examination subsequently confirmed the homicide.Police said Akash and Suchita got married in 2022. The couple’s families were opposed to the match. The couple lived at Tanaji Nagar in Kurar, Malad East. They have a four-year-old son. Police said Akash doubted his wife’s fidelity and would fight frequently with her. Akash was a daily wager and an alcoholic.After a fight on Sunday, he allegedly murdered his wife. He then took the help of a local resident to move her to hospital, claiming that she had been injured. He fled from the hospital thereafter. Kurar Police registered a case of murder.

Former TISS student moves Bombay high court for pre-arrest bail

Former TISS student moves Bombay high court for pre-arrest bail

Mumbai: A former student of the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) has moved the Bombay high court seeking pre-arrest bail in a case where he allegedly raised inflammatory slogans for the release of jailed UAPA accused activists Umar Khaled and Sharjeel Imam at an unauthorised campus event.On Aug 7, bail. was refused to Kamakhya Das (23). On Thursday, Justice Prafulla Khubalkar, before whom Das’s bail application was mentioned by advocate Vijay Hiremath, posted it for hearing on Friday.The event on Oct 10, 2025, was to commemorate the first death anniversary of late Delhi University professor G N Saibaba. The Oct 13, 2025, FIR alleged that 10-12 students assembled without permission, lighting candles, reading poems and raising inflammatory slogans. The sessions court observed that paying homage to Saibaba, who was acquitted by the high court in an UAPA case, was not illegal. It granted bail to seven students except Das and another one.In his bail application, Das denied “certain” slogans were raised. He said as the complaint was based on “untrue events”, grave allegations and charges such as unlawful assembly and promotion of enmity between different groups on grounds of religion and such are not made out at all.The sessions judge noted that books published by CPI (Maoist) were found on Das’s phone and certain information was deleted. Das’s application said “mere possession of such ideology is not a criminal offence’.’ He said the assumption that he attempted to implement Maoist ideology on other TISS students is “complete bogus”.He said having downloaded certain literature does not make him its author nor it indicates a prima facie case affiliation with a banned organisation or being prone to its ideology. As the police claimed Das did not cooperate with them, the sessions judge said his custodial interrogation was necessary. Das said he fully cooperated with the investigation, undergoing 12 to 15 hours of questioning over 10 months.

After days at morgue, former employer helps family claim body of domestic worker killed in Vile Parle fire

After days at morgue, former employer helps family claim body of domestic worker killed in Vile Parle fire

Mumbai: Two days after a devastating fire claimed the lives of a 2-year-old boy and his family’s 23-year-old domestic worker, Ankita Chettri, it was a former employer—in whose house she worked many years ago—who finally stepped forward to help her grieving family claim her body.Until then, Ankita’s body had been resting at the post-mortem centre in Vile Parle since Tuesday night, remaining there all the way up to late Thursday evening in the absence of blood relatives such as her parents, who reside in West Bengal. Her post-mortem was also delayed by days due to lack of consent.Ankita had been working at builder Hiren Batavia’s family home in Shanta Bhuvan on Baptista Road. She was found dead in their bathroom with Batavia’s two-year-old grandson, Abir, while trying to save herself and the toddler from a fire that broke out in their house on the 11th floor.Both died of smoke inhalation. The Batavia family did not wish to comment on Ankita’s death. Ankita’s former employer and her aunt, Kamla, who now works in their home, were at the post-mortem centre. Her former employer, who did not wish to be named, said Ankita used to take care of her children for a few years and had also been studying at the same time.Kamla did not wish to comment further but others in her family have been told about Ankita’s death.A case of accidental death has been registered at Santacruz Police. “We allowed them to claim the body after a letter was received from the blood relatives,” said senior PI Dattatray Masvekar.Ankita’s post-mortem began late evening and by press time her body was expected to be handed over to her aunt to take back to West Bengal.

BMC to consider felling 35 trees for SRA project in Mumbai

BMC to consider felling 35 trees for SRA project in Mumbai

Mumbai: The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation’s (BMC) Tree Authority is set to consider a proposal to fell 35 trees and transplant 11 others to facilitate the proposed Ramabai and Kamraj Nagar Slum Rehabilitation Authority (SRA) project in Ghatkopar East.The proposal, listed for consideration at the Tree Authority meeting on Aug 14, pertains to a plot at Ghatkopar Village No. 194/B (Part), Kamraj Nagar, where the proposed redevelopment project is being undertaken under the slum redevelopment scheme.According to the proposal, a survey found 90 trees on the site. Of these, 46 are likely to be affected by excavation and other work related to the project. The BMC has proposed felling 35 trees, transplanting 11 and retaining the remaining 44 trees.The trees proposed to be felled include peepal, coconut, rain tree, almond, vilayati chich and other species. Several of the trees are between 15 and 30 years old, with some having circumferences of up to eight feet.As compensation for the proposed removal, the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) has undertaken to plant 955 new trees on the same land within 15 days of the felling. The proposal states that the new trees will be at least six feet tall and comprise local species.The compensatory plantation is proposed across around 2,583 sq m of open space and 1,234 sq m reserved as a recreational ground. The applicant has also undertaken to maintain and conserve the newly planted trees for seven years.The proposal follows an application made by the MMRDA’s Town Planning Department in Jan 2026, seeking permission to remove 35 trees and replant 11. A physical inspection of the site was subsequently carried out by BMC officials.BMC said the tree permission process was being considered under the Maharashtra (Urban Areas) Protection and Preservation of Trees Act, 1975. An advertisement inviting objections and suggestions was issued in February, with notices also displayed on the trees proposed for removal.The Tree Authority has been requested to grant, conditionally grant or reject permission under Section 8(3) of the Act. The proposal also states that the prescribed fees, deposits and compensation will have to be paid before permission is granted.

Bombay high court says ‘time to end’ Mallya’s 2020 plea against seizure

Bombay high court says ‘time to end’ Mallya’s 2020 plea against seizure

Mumbai: The Bombay high court on Wednesday remarked that it was time for a long-pending dispute about recovery from Vijay Mallya, founder of the erstwhile Kingfisher Airlines, “be brought to an end”.Justice Milind Jadhav made the remark after senior counsel Amit Desai for Mallya submitted that a petition against seizures of his assets turned infructuous with seizures and sales over the last six years.“Actually, this issue needs to be put to an end. The idea is to move on… otherwise the relations and the economy of the country suffer,” Justice Jadhav remarked and sought a reply from the ED to clarify if the civil liabilities have been effectively settled with the recovery of Rs 15,000 crore.Has everything been “done and dusted”, asked the high court.Justice Jadhav in his order made available on Thursday said applications filed by Mallya and Kamsco Industries Pvt Ltd “have seen the light of the day today for the first time after the board department was directed to list all old shelf matters”.Mallya had sought quashing of a December 2019 PMLA court order over seizure of his assets. Desai said Mallya’s “civil liabilities have effectively been settled” as “consortium of banks have recovered approximately Rs 15,000 Crores from (Mallya) when compared with the original claim of Rs.6203 odd Crores including interest.”The high court said the ED needs to confirm such settlement. The high court clarified Mallya’s plea would have to be ascertained and confirmed by the ED.Justice Jadhav said only after hearing deputy director of ED would the high court “decide the further course of action in the present” plea.Mallya had left India for the UK in 2016 and that is where he remains.The Enforcement Directorate (ED) had confiscated Mallya’s assets in alleged claims of Rs 6,203 crore.In 2020, Mallya filed the petition and challenged a special Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) trial court order that permitted an SBI-headed consortium to use such ED-confiscated assets to recover unpaid dues. It was filed when settlement talks were afoot, said Desai, but by 2026 most of the properties he wanted protection for had been attached by the ED and sold, rendering the challenge redundant.In February, the high court had asked Mallya to inform the court when he intended to return to India. Chief Justice Shree Chandrashekhar and Justice Gautam Ankhad had at the time orally said Mallya cannot avoid court processes by taking advantage of the pendency of his petition, in which he challenged the constitutionality of provisions of the Fugitive Economic Offender (FEO) Act.

BMC’s first cable-stayed bridge over railway tracks in Mumbai to be ready by Dec 31

BMC’s first cable-stayed bridge over railway tracks in Mumbai to be ready by Dec 31
The BMC is constructing its first cable-stayed bridge over railway tracks near Mahalaxmi station to connect Saat Rasta with Mahalaxmi Maidan

Mumbai: The BMC has set a December 31 deadline to complete its first cable-stayed bridge over railway tracks, being constructed near Mahalaxmi station to connect Saat Rasta with Mahalaxmi Maidan.Additional Municipal Commissioner (Projects) Abhijit Bangar inspected the ongoing work on Keshavrao Khadye Marg on Thursday and directed officials to expedite the construction.The 803-metre-long bridge will be 17.2 metres wide, with its width within the railway limits measuring 23.01 metres. The project is being undertaken as part of the Development Plan works.A 78.5-metre-high pylon, which will support the cable-stayed structure, has already been erected. The 95-metre-long western span has also been completed. Construction of the 165-metre-long eastern span, which falls within the railway premises, will begin after the BMC receives the required block from the railways.Most of the pillars on the western side of the pylon have been constructed. However, work on five pillars is pending due to traffic diversion requirements. The BMC is currently constructing a concrete service road, on which traffic will be diverted after approval from the Traffic Police.Utility-laying work is also underway along the stretch. BMC’s bridges department is coordinating with the Traffic Police to facilitate traffic movement during construction.