2 arrested for fatal Mankhurd crash in Mumbai; we were to move out today as adjoining illegal slum tenement was tilting, says labourer who lost entire family | Mumbai News

2 arrested for fatal Mankhurd crash in Mumbai; we were to move out today as adjoining illegal slum tenement was tilting, says labourer who lost entire family

Mumbai: Mankhurd police on Monday arrested the contractor and owner of the unauthorised ground-plus-three-storey slum tenement that collapsed onto an adjoining ground-floor shanty at Janata Nagar in Mandala area on Sunday night, killing five children and a woman and injuring a man.Based on a complaint lodged by Mohammad Mukhtar Abdul Ali Shaikh (53), police registered an FIR under BNS sections 105 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) and 3(5) (multiple individuals act together with a shared intention to commit an offence) against Abdul Wahid and Gulam Raza Sayyed. The duo was produced in court and remanded to police custody.Moinuddin Shah (39), who lost his entire family — wife Akhtar Jahan (38) and children Kaisar (14), Jalaluddin (9), Serajuddin (7) and Anabiya (3) — in the tragedy, said he was to shift to a new place on Monday as he had noticed that the ill-fated structure, located two shanties away from his hutment, had begun tilting. “I told my wife to cook dinner and within 10 minutes of me stepping out around 8.30pm, this happened. I had told my children that we will somehow manage to sleep here for a day and vacate the house tomorrow [Monday],” Shah, a labourer by profession, told neighbours.Neighbours said his children studied at a municipal school, and his eldest, Kaisar, was a bright student.Six-year-old Aliya Shaikh, who had come to play with Shah’s children, was also killed in the crash. Aliya’s father Allauddin Shaikh, who works for a cargo company, said she had started Class 1 only last month. Both the Shahs and Shaikhs are originally from Uttar Pradesh.The only survivor of the incident, 24-year-old Rehan Ali, who sustained a fracture to his hand, is recovering in hospital. He said he lived on the ground floor of the ground-plus-three-storey slum tenement that collapsed onto the Shahs’ shanty. On Sunday morning, his family had noticed cracks developing in the building and had begun vacating it. Ali had briefly gone back inside to retrieve one last bag and had just stepped out when the structure came crashing down.While the structures stood on govt land, revenue officials said they are predated 2011 and had been surveyed by the Slum Rehabilitation Authority, with the settlement assigned a cluster number. They said residents could not be relocated, unless they were rehabilitated. However, BMC officials said they had warned revenue authorities about unauthorised construction on the marshy land. “We had told them to carry out a drive against the illegal construction and that we would help them with it. Even if they are prior to 2011, they cannot construct beyond 14 ft height. However, a large number of structures were built beyond the permissible limit. Even the structure that collapsed was built about three years ago,” a BMC official said.On Monday, chief minister Devendra Fadnavis announced an ex gratia of Rs 5 lakh each for the kin of the deceased, while the BMC demolished a dangerous structure adjacent to the collapse site and cleared the debris.(With inputs from Ahmed Ali)

125 trekkers stranded in Roha, around 1,000 others in Kolad | Mumbai News

125 trekkers stranded in Roha, around 1,000 others in Kolad

Navi Mumbai: A group of 125 trekkers from different parts of Pune was stuck in Roha, Raigad, since Saturday evening. Also, more than 1,000, including tourists, landed up at Kolad in the same taluka due to the Mumbai-Goa highway flooding. Further, three teams in a joint operation on Sunday night rescued 36 inmates of a Kolad-based beggars home, located on the Kundalika riverside along the highway.The trekkers include professionals, techies, advocates and professors, among others. The group completed the Andharban trek on the Tamhini ghat stretch and scaled down to the Vira dam area, Mangaon taluka, in Raigad. However, they could not return to Mulshi owing to the closure of the Tamhini Ghat road. Their attempt to return via Pali and the Expressway to Pune was aborted due to the flooded Mumbai-Goa highway.On Sunday, they sought the help of a Pune corporator, Baba Dhumal, who in turn contacted MP Sunil Tatkare. “Within a few minutes, all arrangements were made. We were given an accommodation at the Kalidas banquet hall. All are safe and likely to return on Tuesday,” said advocate Viraj Gopalghare, one of the trekkers.The women and child development minister, Aditi Tatkare, posted: “The trekkers have been accommodated at the Kalidas hall. They were provided with relief material and food.”Mahesh Sanap of the rescue group Wilder West Adventure – Kolad, said, “Most of the over 1,000 stranded people visited various locations on account of the weekend. They could not return to Mumbai, Pune and other places as the Mumbai-Goa highway was shut. The highway contractors have blocked the natural path of rivers and channels for bridge and allied construction works, resulting in flooding.”He further said, “Our team, in addition to the local volunteers of ResQ-Pune and Sahyadri Vanyajeev Rakshanarth Samajik Sanstha – Kolad, evacuated the inmates of the hospital through river rafting.”

MCOCA invoked against six Kalyan for running prostitution gang | Mumbai News

MCOCA invoked against six Kalyan for running prostitution gang
According to police, the gang had trafficked around 20 women for prostitution and used them to solicit customers in and around the Kalyan

Kalyan: In a first-of-its-kind action in Thane district, Thane police have invoked the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) against a six-member women-led gang allegedly involved in running an organised prostitution racket in the Kalyan railway station area, reports Pradeep Gupta.Police said the action was taken after investigations revealed that the accused were operating a well-organised network engaged in trafficking women, luring them with money and forcing them into prostitution. The gang allegedly arranged customers and earned substantial financial gains through the illegal trade.The case was initially registered on Feb 21, 2026, at Mahatma Phule police station under relevant provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) and the Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act. Assistant Commissioner of Police Ashok Honmane said, “During the probe, police found that the accused had formed an organised criminal syndicate and were repeatedly involved in offences for financial gain”.Based on the evidence collected, police sought permission from senior officers to invoke MCOCA. Following approval from the Additional Commissioner of Police (East Region), Thane, provisions of the anti-organised crime law were added to the case.According to police, the gang had trafficked around 20 women for prostitution and used them to solicit customers in and around the Kalyan railway station area.The accused were taken into custody from Kalyan District Jail after obtaining court permission and formally arrested under the provisions of MCOCA. A special MCOCA court had earlier granted police custody till July 6, following which the accused were remanded to judicial custody.Baliramsingh Pardeshi, senior police inspector of Mahatma Phule police station, said, “The six women arrested in the running gang have at least two to four cases against them in past, and this is the first instance in Thane police commissionerate where MCOCA has been invoked against a women-led organised prostitution racket”.

MCOCA against six women gang running prostitution | Mumbai News

MCOCA against six women gang running prostitution
According to police, the gang had trafficked around 20 women for prostitution and used them to solicit customers in and around the Kalyan

Kalyan: In a first-of-its-kind action in Thane district, Thane police have invoked the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) against a six-member women-led gang allegedly involved in running an organised prostitution racket in the Kalyan railway station area, reports Pradeep Gupta.Police said the action was taken after investigations revealed that the accused were operating a well-organised network engaged in trafficking women, luring them with money and forcing them into prostitution. The gang allegedly arranged for customers and earned substantial profits through the illegal trade.The case was initially registered on Feb 21, 2026, at Mahatma Phule police station under relevant provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) and the Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act. Assistant Commissioner of Police Ashok Honmane said, “During the probe, police found that the accused had formed an organised criminal syndicate and were repeatedly involved in offences for financial gain”.Based on the evidence collected, police sought permission from senior officers to invoke MCOCA. Following approval from the Additional Commissioner of Police (East Region), Thane, provisions of the anti-organised crime law were added to the case.According to police, the gang had trafficked around 20 women for prostitution and used them to solicit customers in and around the Kalyan railway station area.The accused were taken into custody from Kalyan District Jail after obtaining court permission and formally arrested under the provisions of MCOCA. A special MCOCA court had earlier granted police custody till July 6, following which the accused were remanded to judicial custody.Baliramsingh Pardeshi, senior police inspector of Mahatma Phule police station, said, “The six women running the gang have at least two to four cases against them in past, and this is the first instance in Thane police commissionerate where MCOCA has been invoked against a women-led organised prostitution racket”.

Compliance affidavits an ‘eyewash’, Bombay high court raps BMC over open manholes in Mumbai | Mumbai News

Compliance affidavits an ‘eyewash’, Bombay high court raps BMC over open manholes in Mumbai
Bombay high court accepted BMC’s affidavit filed on Monday that said the civic chief has directed all 26 wards to ensure 100% inspection of manhole covers across Mumbai in 10 days, and officers were acting on it.

Mumbai: Coming down on the BMC for an “eyewash” of earlier compliance affidavits, Bombay high court on Monday asked if the municipal body can make a statement that there would be no more unfortunate incidents due to open manholes this monsoon.The HC also expressed concern over the rise in serious incidents and also expressed displeasure at Thane Municipal Corporation’s (TMC) decision to award Rs 75,000 compensation to the parents of a toddler who fell in an open manhole last year.The HC accepted BMC’s affidavit filed on Monday that said the civic chief has directed all 26 wards to ensure 100% inspection of manhole covers across Mumbai in 10 days, and officers were acting on it.When the HC bench asked what about over 2,000 open, but “inaccessible”, manholes yet to be covered with safety grille, senior counsel Anil Sakhare, for BMC, said the civic staff will man areas that are prone to flooding where these manholes are located. “What is the point of these affidavits? It’s an eyewash. You say one thing, but you do another…You’re not doing anything,” a division bench of Justices A S Gadkari and Kamal Khata said. “Human lives are of paramount importance, …Why can’t steps be taken before the monsoon season. Will the BMC keep waiting for someone to lose their life and then jump in to take measures?”The bench also expressed displeasure and disappointment with BMC’s preparedness to receive and swiftly address complaints from citizens about open manholes via phone. It said the BMC must activate a dedicated phone number within 24 hours.The HC was hearing a suo motu PIL on the bad condition of roads across state and a 2019 contempt petition by advocate Ruju Thakker on ensuring Mumbai’s roads are not death traps due to open manholes and potholes.Advocate Jamshed Mistry, as amicus curiae, submitted that since 2018, affidavits from civic bodies do not show the status of roads across the state, but only in Mumbai and Thane.The HC asked state to come back on the next hearing date with concrete plans to ensure roads issues are resolved soon. It also asked state to file an affidavit detailing steps to verify compliance by local bodies statewide, and sought details of FIR and complaints lodged against contractors and civic officials.T

13-yr-old falls into Bhiwandi drain, swept away; 2 drown in Navi Mumbai river | Mumbai News

13-yr-old falls into Bhiwandi drain, swept away; 2 drown in Navi Mumbai river
Mohammed Abuzar, the 13-year-old boy

Bhiwandi/Navi Mumbai: A 13-year-old boy, Mohammed Abuzar, was swept away in a stormwater drain while playing with friends in Bhiwandi on Monday. This was the third such tragedy involving minors in Bhiwandi in the last three days. The other victims are still missing.According to the civic body, Abuzar lost his balance and fell into the fast-flowing water. He was swept away by strong currents before anyone could rescue him. A search operation was immediately mounted but he could not be traced till late evening.Meanwhile, a youth drowned in Waghachiwadi river near Gadeshwar dam in Navi Mumbai and his friend was washed away on Sunday evening. The two were part of a group of 10 friends out on a monsoon picnic by the river.Prithviraj Ghorpade, senior inspector, Panvel taluka police, said Nayan Mhatre (25) got caught in the currents and Sumit Pawar (26) rushed to rescue him but was pulled in too. Mhatre got swept away and Pawar was pulled out. The other friends rushed Pawar, who had difficulty in breathing, to hospital, where he was declared dead.

Municipal Engineers Union protests, demands suspensions in two Mumbai rain-related deaths be revoked | Mumbai News

Municipal Engineers Union protests, demands  suspensions in two Mumbai rain-related deaths be revoked
Municipal Engineers Union workers protest outside BMC’s M-West ward office on Monday

Mumbai: The Municipal Engineers Union on Monday staged a protest outside BMC’s M-West ward office against the suspension of civic engineers in connection with two recent monsoon-related incidents, demanding that the disciplinary action be revoked.Calling the action “premature and unjust”, the union said engineers should not be suspended before a thorough inquiry establishes responsibility, and sought a fair investigation before any punitive action is taken.Last week, the BMC administration suspended three engineers following the tree collapse in Chembur that claimed the life of 11-year-old Vihaan Srivastav. In a separate incident, four civic officials, including the assistant municipal commissioner of L ward, were suspended following the death of 55-year-old Aslam Ishaq Shaikh, who fell into an open manhole in Saki Naka on July 2.In case of the manhole death, an engineer said, the ward staff wasn’t informed of the protective grille installation work, so how could the engineers be expected to be at the site.In case of the tree-crash death, the union said that in a letter to the contractor in March, the roads department’s executive engineer of eastern suburbs directed the contractor, Gawar Construction Ltd, to immediately implement protective measures for trees located within work zones. The notice also observed that several trees in the area were of “advanced maturity”, many showed a “noticeable lean” indicating potential instability, and that excavation activities could increase the “risk of tree failure”.The union later also presented their request before the civic chief.

SRPF constable dies by suicide, shoots himself at Lok Bhavan in Mumbai | Mumbai News

SRPF constable dies by suicide, shoots himself at Lok Bhavan in Mumbai
No suicide note was found

Mumbai: A State Reserve Police Force (SRPF) constable posted on guard duty at Lok Bhavan, the official residence of the Governor of Maharashtra located at Malabar Hill, allegedly died by suicide after shooting himself with his service weapon on Monday evening, said police. No suicide note was found.The constable, Kaustabh Sangle (26), was attached to the Group 16 Kolhapur, said police.Police are collecting information about the deceased and are trying to find out the reason behind the extreme step.

Santacruz collegian’s body found 2km from Navi Mumbai waterfall | Mumbai News

Santacruz collegian’s body found 2km from Navi Mumbai waterfall

Navi Mumbai: Two days after he went missing at Pandavkada waterfall in Kharghar while on a picnic, the body of a Santacruz collegian was retrieved from a downstream channel around 2km away on Monday.“The body was retrieved in the morning and was handed over to local police,” a Kharghar fire brigade personnel said.Kharghar police took the body of Shannon Kini (19) for a postmortem examination and later handed it over to the family. “The body was found floating around 2km away from the spot after being swept away in the heavy water currents. His family members were not in a condition to provide more details,” said a police constable. An accidental death report has been filed.Kini had sneaked into the waterfall, along with a friend, flouting a prohibitory order restricting the entry of visitors during the monsoon. The two are suspected to have taken a much risky trek path in an attempt to reach deep into the area. Kini is assumed to have slipped from a few feet up and fallen into the gushing waters.Meanwhile, a search was still on for a 20-year-old Taloja man, Mohammed Mobshir Mohammed Shahid, who had gone missing around the same spot on Friday.