Maharashtra gives charity hospitals one month to install dashboards, warns of crackdown | Mumbai News

Maharashtra gives charity hospitals one month to install dashboards, warns of crackdown
Charity hospitals across Maharashtra are required to implement public dashboards within a month (AI-generated image used for representational purposes)

MUMBAI: Charity hospitals across Maharashtra have been given one month to install public dashboards displaying information on free treatment and reserved beds, as the state government signalled a tougher enforcement regime against institutions accused of failing to meet obligations attached to the public concessions they receive.The warning came in the legislative council on Tuesday after members raised concerns that several hospitals were denying benefits meant for economically weaker patients despite enjoying statutory exemptions and incentives.Minister Shambhuraj Desai said district authorities would begin special inspections from August and hospitals found violating the rules would face action.The inspections, to be led by additional district collectors, will examine whether hospitals have installed the mandatory dashboards, are reserving beds for eligible patients, have implemented government-funded health schemes and are complying with other conditions prescribed under the charity hospital framework.Desai acknowledged that compliance remained uneven, telling the House that enforcement had often been delayed because hospitals obtained interim relief from courts after action was initiated against them.He said all eligible charity hospitals would be required to implement government health insurance schemes, including the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana, and warned that complaints of overcharging would also be pursued.The government, he said, was prepared to appoint special government counsels in cases requiring stronger legal intervention.Minister of state Madhuri Misal said the dashboard requirement would be monitored through the government’s appointed Arogya Doots, who would track whether hospitals were displaying information on free treatment and complying with the rules.The debate also focused on Global Hospital in Parel, with MLC Anil Parab alleging that the hospital had failed to provide a single bed to government-referred patients over the past 15 years despite receiving additional Floor Space Index (FSI) benefits during its development.Under Maharashtra’s charity hospital rules, institutions that avail themselves of specified government concessions are required to reserve 15% of their beds for poor patients.Misal said proceedings against the hospital were currently before the court, with the next hearing scheduled for 21 July. Notices proposing cancellation of its nursing registration and occupancy certificate had been issued, but further action was stayed by the court.The government would decide on initiating the process to withdraw the additional FSI granted to the hospital after the court proceedings and consultations with the concerned departments.

Teen housekeeping staff at resort caught peeping inside bathroom booked | Mumbai News

Teen housekeeping staff at resort caught peeping inside bathroom booked

Navi Mumbai: An 18-year-old intern housekeeping staff member at a resort in Diveagar in Shrivardhan taluka of Raigad was booked for voyeurism after he was caught peeping through a bathroom window exhaust fan into a guest’s room when a 27-year-old woman guest was semi-naked and entered the bathroom to bathe, police said.The incident occurred on July 4 around 6pm at the resort. The woman was staying with her family, from Kalyan, for a weekend picnic.Acting on a complaint by the woman’s husband, who caught the teenager red-handed while peeping into the second-floor room’s bathroom, the Dighi Coastal police registered an FIR under a BNS section for voyeurism against the accused, identified as Vedant Ramesh Yerunkar, a resident of Birwadi in Mahad taluka, Raigad.Santosh Awati, assistant police inspector of Dighi coastal police station, said, “The accused Vedant Yerunkar was working as an intern housekeeping staff at the resort for past two months. He was caught peeping into the bathroom of the resort’s room where a family from Kalyan was staying for weekend picnic. After the accused teenager was caught red-handed by the woman’s husband, who lodged a police complaint against him, we detained him for the offence. As he was booked under BNS section that attracts punishment of less than seven years, as per the provision of the law, he was not arrested and served with a notice under Bharatiya Nagrik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS) directing him to co-operate in police investigation and remain present in court when summoned for trial.

Mithi tunnel cost may rise due to GST slab change | Mumbai News

Mithi tunnel cost may rise due to GST slab change

Mumbai: The cost of an ongoing Mithi river project may increase by over Rs 21 crore as the civic administration has sought the standing committee’s approval to revise the contract value from Rs 604.3 crore to Rs 625.34 crore.According to the proposal, which is to be tabled before the committee on Wednesday, the cost escalation is due to GST being raised from 12% to 18% through a notification issued in July 2022. The contractor, a joint venture of J Kumar Infraprojects-Michigan Engineers, has sought reimbursement of the additional tax. The proposal states that legal, taxation and engineering consultants engaged by BMC have said the additional GST liability is payable to the contractor.It said if GST is reduced in future during the contract period, the contract value will be lowered in accordance with contractual provisions.The work involves diverting 168 million litres per day of sewage flowing through two nullahs during the non-monsoon season to the upcoming Dharavi sewage treatment plant through an underground tunnel. BMC earmarked Rs 34 crore in the 2026-27 budget for it. Civic officials said the project is crucial because the existing sewer network along LBS Road lacks the capacity to handle projected sewage flows. Overflowing sewers frequently spill onto roads, while during the monsoon, sewage mixes with stormwater, increasing the risk of disease outbreaks.The contract, awarded in Aug 2021, commenced on Oct 1 that year, with a scheduled four-year completion deadline.The proposal states that tunnel excavation has been completed and shaft construction is in the final stages. Overall physical progress has reached 96.7%, with only finishing works pending. The project deadline has already been extended once and another extension for the remaining work is under process.BMC clarified that there is no change in the scope of work or the contract period, and the additional expenditure is restricted to the enhanced GST payable on design and construction components.

Opposition alleges forged documents used to list Maharashtra CM, deputy CM as housing scheme beneficiaries | Mumbai News

Opposition alleges forged documents used to list Maharashtra CM, deputy CM as housing scheme beneficiaries
opposition legislators claimed forged identity documents had been used to create bogus beneficiaries, including profiles in the names of chief minister (L) and deputy chief minister (R).

MUMBAI: The Maharashtra government on Tuesday ordered a closer examination of alleged irregularities in the implementation of the Ramai Awas Yojana in Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar after opposition legislators claimed forged identity documents had been used to create bogus beneficiaries, including profiles in the names of chief minister Devendra Fadnavis and deputy chief minister Eknath Shinde.Raising the issue in the legislative council, Shiv Sena (UBT) leader Ambadas Danve alleged that fabricated caste certificates, ration cards and municipal tax records had been prepared to enrol ineligible applicants under the housing scheme, which is intended to provide financial assistance for permanent homes to Scheduled Caste and Neo-Buddhist families.Danve claimed that forged records were created in the name of “Devendra Gangadharrao Fadnavis”, showing him as a resident of Rahul Nagar in Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar.According to the allegation, fake ration cards, caste certificates and property tax records were generated, with one record even showing municipal tax dues of Rs 185.He also alleged that fabricated documents had been prepared in the name of Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde. The purported ration card, Danve said, included the names of Shinde’s wife, son and MP Shrikant Shinde, daughter-in-law and grandson. He further claimed that a forged caste certificate had also been created in Shinde’s name.The Shiv Sena (UBT) leader alleged that the irregularities extended beyond forged documents, claiming that the son of a BJP corporator figured among the beneficiaries despite allegedly operating 33 bank accounts.He also accused officials of the Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar Municipal Corporation and the project management consultant associated with the scheme of being involved in the alleged fraud.Responding in the House, social justice minister Sanjay Shirsat described the allegations as serious and said no money had been disbursed under the disputed applications.Shirsat said the Ramai Awas Yojana is funded by the social justice department to support the construction of permanent houses for eligible Scheduled Caste and Neo-Buddhist families in municipal corporation and zilla parishad areas.He told the council that applications received by the then Aurangabad Municipal Corporation between 2010-11 and 2022-23 had ultimately been rejected because no houses were constructed under those proposals.Fresh applications were invited in May this year, drawing 8,442 submissions.During physical verification, however, only 2,913 applicants appeared before officials. Subsequent scrutiny found that several applications had been filed using documents linked to people from other states, Shirsat said.After verification, only 221 applicants out of a final pool of 330 were found eligible for assistance under the scheme, he added.

Man assaults woman on railway tracks at Dadar station, video goes viral | Mumbai News

Man assaults woman on railway tracks at Dadar station, video goes viral
An official said that after the video was brought to the attention of the cops, they checked CCTV footage of the station.

Mumbai: A horrific viral video clip shows a man assaulting a woman on the railway tracks at Dadar station. Police said the two are yet to be identified and no case has been registered. Police are looking for the man.An official said that after the video was brought to the attention of the cops, they checked CCTV footage of the station. The man has been captured on camera taking the woman to a long-distance train after the assault and dropping her off. He then leaves the station. Police said it appears the two are acquainted. The viral video was filmed by a bystander but not a single commuter stepped forward to intervene, police said. The woman did not approach the cops with a complaint either.

Maharashtra transport minister admits to racket in RTO, orders SIT probe | Mumbai News

Maharashtra transport minister admits to racket in RTO, orders SIT probe
To prevent registration of expensive cars in other states to avoid paying taxes in Maharashtra, the state will now check GST verification and documents related to the origin of bank loans and residence, said minister Pratap Sarnaik

Mumbai: State transport minister Pratap Sarnaik on Tuesday admitted that “there is a racket in the Regional Transport Office which needs to stop” and ordered a Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe into the allegations of irregularities by a three-member team led by IPS officer Priyanka Narnavare, which will submit its report in a month.Speaking in the state assembly, Sarnaik also said that in order to prevent the registration of expensive cars in other states to avoid paying taxes in Maharashtra, the state will check GST verification and documents related to the origin of bank loans and residence. “It’s true that expensive cars like Mercedes, Audi and BMW are being purchased in Daman and Puducherry to avoid paying taxes in Maharashtra. The RTO is taking action against such cases,” said Sarnaik.The issue was raised in the assembly by Congress leader Vijay Wadettiwar, who also claimed that there was a major racket operating in the RTO in Vidarbha led by a retired official Bajrang Kharmate. Sarnaik said a probe had begun against him through the Economic Offences Wing.“There is a racket operating with officials who have been posted in the same RTO department in Vidarbha. As many as 1,500 stolen cars have been registered through that RTO. These officers carry out illegal recovery and also target honest officials by using the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB). In fact, there is collusion between the RTO and the ACB,” alleged Wadettiwar. He added that he would submit audio clips as evidence to the government.

4 days on, Taloja youth’s body found near waterfall | Mumbai News

4 days on, Taloja youth’s body found near waterfall
Mohammed Mobshir Mohammed Shahid had sneaked into Kharghar’s Pandavkada waterfall with four friends

Navi Mumbai: Four days after a 20-year-old Taloja resident went missing at Kharghar’s Pandavkada waterfall, his body was found in a downstream channel on Tuesday.Mohammed Mobshir Mohammed Shahid, a garage worker, had sneaked into the waterfall area, along with four friends, in violation of prohibitory orders barring entry during the monsoon on July 3.Shahid’s brother, Aziz, said, “He entered the water for a swim, as per his friends. After getting an alert from them, our family reached the spot.” Kharghar fire brigade and police personnel had mounted a search operation immediately, but strong winds and heavy water currents thwarted their efforts.A Kharghar assistant police inspector said following the body’s retrieval, procedural formalities were being completed. “Further investigation is on.”Three monsoon revellers have died this season in the region. The body of a Santacruz resident, Shannon Kini (19), who went missing at the waterfall on July 4 was retrieved on Monday, while 17-year-old Ashraf Shaikh from Dharavi drowned in a pool at the Kharghar foothills on June 30.

Two drownings in Mumbai’s Malad suburb in 3 days | Mumbai News

Two drownings in Mumbai’s Malad suburb in 3 days
A man drowned in a nullah and a teenager in a pond

Mumbai: Two separate drowning incidents have been reported in Malad in the last three days.In the first incident reported on Sunday, a 38-year-old Malad East resident, Yogesh Verma, drowned after falling into a nullah at Dominic Compound in Kurar village. Police said Verma’s body has not been found yet.On Monday, a 17-year-old boy, Nikhil Chavan, drowned at Ali Talao in Malwani where he had gone for a swim with friends. Police said Chavan, a student from Rathodi village in Malad West, did not know how to swim. He was pronounced dead at Babasaheb Ambedkar Hospital following which Malwani police were informed. Police have registered an accidental death case.

Sena neta ‘attacks hospital staff over delay’, KDMC doctors, nurses go on strike | Mumbai News

Sena neta ‘attacks hospital staff over delay’, KDMC doctors, nurses go on strike
Emergency services weren’t hit, but patients seeking OPD consultations and routine treatment faced inconvenience

Kalyan: Routine medical services and OPD consultations across all major civic-run hospitals and healthcare centres in Kalyan-Dombivli were suspended on Tuesday after their doctors, nurses and paramedical staff went on a strike to protest the assault of a hospital’s staffers allegedly by a Shiv Sena corporator, his supporters and a pregnant patient’s relatives over purported delay in treatment the previous night. Emergency services weren’t hit.While police said the process to lodge an FIR over the attack was underway, the protesters alleged that attempts were being made to lodge a case only against the patient’s relatives despite the corporator, Ramesh Mhatre, being seen in CCTV footage attacking the staff. They said their agitation will continue until strict action is taken against everyone involved. Indian Medical Association’s (IMA) Kalyan and Dombivli units said if action is not initiated against all of the accused by Wednesday, all private doctors affiliated with them across the twin cities will suspend their services in solidarity.A 33-year-old, Priyanka Ugmale, was admitted to Shastrinagar Hospital in Dombivli in an advanced stage of pregnancy late on Monday. Doctors found the umbilical cord had looped itself twice around the foetus and decided to perform a C-section. Hospital sources said doctors anticipated that the newborn would require admission to a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), but as the hospital’s NICU was full, the medical team began contacting other hospitals to secure a NICU bed before proceeding with the surgery.Meanwhile, the patient’s relatives allegedly contacted Mhatre, who reached the hospital and confronted the doctors over the alleged delay in treatment. The argument escalated, and CCTV footage purportedly shows Mhatre assaulting a gynaecologist, following which his supporters allegedly attacked other doctors and hospital staffers.Sources said Mhatre was upset over the delay and claimed doctors did not respond to his phone calls. Doctors, however, maintained that they were busy arranging a NICU bed, which was necessary before performing the procedure.Following the attack, the patient was shifted to another civic facility, where doctors successfully performed the C-section and the newborn was admitted to its NICU.After a meeting with IMA Kalyan president Dr Rajesh Raghav Raju, Kalyan-Dombivli Municipal Corporation (KDMC) commissioner Abhinav Goel asked the doctors and staffers who were attacked to lodge a police complaint and assured them that strict legal action will be taken against all those responsible. He said the civic administration will strengthen security at all KDMC hospitals and urged the protesting staffers to resume services.

Thane woman suffers serious back injury in a tree crash amid heavy rain | Mumbai News

Thane woman suffers serious back injury in a tree crash amid heavy rain

Thane: A 25-year-old woman, Drishti Kadam, sustained serious injuries after a tree fell on her and a parked car at Yashodhan Nagar in Wagle Estate on Tuesday evening amid continuing monsoon showers.The incident occurred around 6.30 pm near Yashodhan Nagar Hospital. Kadam, a resident of Shivajinagar, suffered a serious back injury and was rushed to Jupiter Hospital for treatment. The parked car was extensively damaged. Teams from the Thane Municipal Corporation TMC, disaster management cell, TDRF, fire brigade and Tree Authority removed the tree and restored traffic.The rainfall eased compared with the previous two days, with around 60 mm recorded in the city till Tuesday evening. Although schools remained shut for the second consecutive day following the district administration’s rain holiday, several institutions conducted online classes.The overflowing Masunda and Upvan lakes led to water entering low-lying commercial areas, including Jambli Naka, while civic authorities reported an increase in snake sightings as floodwaters inundated their natural habitats.Meanwhile, the TMC said parts of Thane will receive low-pressure water supply for the next two days due to silt accumulation at the Pise and Shahad raw water pumping stations. Several localities also witnessed prolonged electricity disruptions following rain-related damage to power infrastructure.