Maharashtra Medical Council finds fake website mimicking its portal, files complaint | Mumbai News

Maharashtra Medical Council finds fake website mimicking its portal, files complaint
The site, ‘maharashtramedicalcouncile.in’, is a replica of the council’s official website and features both a login page and a payment portal

Mumbai: The Maharashtra Medical Council (MMC) filed an online cyber complaint late last week after discovering a website that mimicked the council, attempting to phish for data or money from medical professionals.The site, ‘maharashtramedicalcouncile.in’, is a replica of the council’s official website and features both a login page and a payment portal. Although the site appears to be in its early stages, as the pages do not currently progress beyond the initial clicks, the council is not taking any chances. “It could become functional at any point, so as a precaution, we have filed an official complaint,” said Dr Vinky Rughwani, MMC administrator.City-based Dr Santosh Kadam, former Indian Medical Association (IMA) state president, said that doctors have already been warned about the fake website.He added that the medical community has become increasingly cautious following several recent scam attempts targeting doctors. Just two days ago, Dr Kadam said, a state IMA office-bearer suffered a ‘digital nightmare’ when his phone was cloned by a scammer.Speaking to TOI, Nagpur-based Dr Kush Jhunjhunwala said he was expecting a delivery when he received a call stating that a delivery person was unable to locate his home and was asked to call a specific number. “As soon as I dialled the number, my phone was hacked. I lost complete control, and the phone was switched off.”He reached out to friends in the Nagpur police, and the matter was taken care of. However, by then, all of his contacts had received WhatsApp messages asking them to send Rs 45,000 for urgent help. “No one fell for it, but it was scary,” said Dr Jhunjhunwala.

MSRTC to Run 5,500 Special Buses for Ashadhi Wari Pilgrimage | Mumbai News

MSRTC to Run 5,500 Special Buses for Ashadhi Wari Pilgrimage

Mumbai: The MSRTC will operate 5,500 special buses for the Ashadhi Wari pilgrimage to Pandharpur to facilitate the travel of lakhs of devotees expected to visit the temple town for darshan of Lord Vitthal and Goddess Rukmin. Any group of 40 or more devotees can book a special bus from any village in Maharashtra directly to Pandharpur. Existing passenger concessions will remain applicable, including free travel for citizens above 75 years under the Amrut Senior Citizen Scheme and a 50% fare concession for women under the Mahila Samman Yojana.This year, more than 13,000 employees, including drivers, conductors, mechanics and officers, will be on duty round the clock. Four temporary bus stations—Chandrabhaga, Bhima (Degaon), Vitthal Factory and Pandurang (ITI College)—will be set up with drinking water, toilets, reservation counters, enquiry centres, CCTV surveillance and other passenger amenities. Sarnaik also inspected the temporary Bhima bus station and reviewed facilities for pilgrims.

Warm, humid weather returns as rains take a break in Mumbai, lake levels remain unchanged | Mumbai News

Warm, humid weather returns as rains take a break in Mumbai, lake levels remain unchanged
Mumbai had witnessed intense rain activity in the first week of July

Mumbai: After intense monsoon activity in the first week of July, the city witnessed a complete lull in rainfall over the weekend, with the dry spell pushing up both day and night temperatures.The India Meteorological Department (IMD) recorded above-normal temperatures at both its observatories on Sunday. The minimum temperature at Colaba stood at 27.7°C, 2 degrees above normal, while Santacruz recorded 27.4°C, which was 1.6 degrees above normal. Daytime temperatures also climbed, with Colaba registering a maximum of 32.4°C, 2.3 degrees above normal, and Santacruz recording 32.2°C, 1.7 degrees above normal. High humidity added to the discomfort, with relative humidity touching 83% at Colaba and 78% at Santacruz.The dry spell has also stalled gains in Mumbai’s water reserves. Water stocks in the seven lakes that supply drinking water to the city have remained unchanged at 49.84% of their total capacity for the past three days, pointing at the absence of any significant rainfall in the catchment areas.“The temporary break in rainfall has allowed temperatures to rise as there is more heating during the day. At the same time, the moisture left behind by the recent spell of heavy rain is keeping humidity levels high, making weather conditions feel warmer than the actual temperatures,” said a weather official.Weather officials said rainfall activity is expected to resume as monsoon conditions become favourable again over the coming days.

Rats found roaming inside quick commerce store in Ghansoli, video goes viral | Mumbai News

Rats found roaming inside quick commerce store in Ghansoli, video goes viral
Rats found inside quick commerce grocery store

Navi Mumbai: A video clip showing two rats roaming around at a quick commerce grocery store in Ghansoli in the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation jurisdiction went viral on social media on Sunday.In the two-minute video, a staff member at the store was seen catching one rat found hidden in the stock of Amul milk products and another rat hidden in a basket of watermelons, with one watermelon already nibbled by the rat. Rat pups were found in two baskets, one of them containing snacks.When contacted, NMMC commissioner Kailas Shinde said, “Upon seeing the video on social media, I told the Ghansoli ward officer to check and ascertain. The ward officer reported that he personally visited the store in Ghansoli and checked; when it was learnt that the video in question was three to four months old, he will contact the FDA department on Monday and accordingly initiate further action.”Vasant Mundavare, Ghansoli ward officer, said, “As the Ghansoli store incharge has claimed that the video of rats was 3-4 months old, on Monday, I will initially inquire with NMMC’s Licensing department headed by Deputy Municipal Commissioner Rahul Gethe, whether previously any action had been taken against the concerned store for unhygienic conditions due to which the rats were roaming in the stock of eatables.

Woman injured in chawl slab collapse in Mumbai, cause being probed | Mumbai News

Woman injured in chawl slab collapse in Mumbai, cause being probed
The incident took place around 6.34 pm at Shree Saraswati Chawl in Ambedkar Nagar (Representative image generated using AI)

MUMBAI: A 25-year-old woman was injured after the slab of a dilapidated chawl collapsed beneath her while she was drying clothes in Mankhurd on Saturday evening.The incident took place around 6.34 pm at Shree Saraswati Chawl in Ambedkar Nagar, PMGP Colony.According to civic officials, the woman had entered the first floor of an unoccupied, dilapidated ground-plus-one structure to dry clothes when the slab suddenly gave way, causing her to fall to the ground floor.Ward staff rushed to the spot and shifted the injured woman, identified as Sunita Yadav (25), to Shatabdi Hospital.She was later referred to Sion Hospital for further treatment.On Sunday evening, hospital authorities informed the BMC that Yadav had taken Discharge Against Medical Advice (DAMA) and left Sion Hospital on Sunday morning.The exact cause of the slab collapse is yet to be ascertained.Civic officials said the structure was vacant and in a dilapidated condition.

Navi Mumbai police arrest drunk man for hoax bomb threat call to south Mumbai hotel | Mumbai News

Navi Mumbai police arrest drunk man for hoax bomb threat call to south Mumbai hotel
File pic for representation

Mumbai: Hours after security was beefed up at Red Fort in Delhi following a hoax bomb threat, Navi Mumbai police control room received a call around Saturday midnight, warning of an explosion at a luxury hotel in south Mumbai.A Navi Mumbai police team traced the caller to Turbhe within hours and arrested him. “It was a hoax call originating from Turbhe. The caller was drunk. Necessary action has been initiated by our police,” said Navi Mumbai police commissioner Milind Bharambe on Sunday.On receiving the call, Navi Mumbai police immediately relayed the alert to their counterparts in Mumbai, who tightened security in and around the hotel.A Colaba police officer said the bomb disposal and detection squad carried out an extensive search of the hotel premises and scanned the guest list before confirming it was a hoax call. “There was no immediate threat to guests or hotel staff, and normal operations resumed after the search was completed. However, security personnel remained on alert as a precautionary measure,” said a police officer.Police appealed to the public not to spread unverified information and said strict action would be taken against those responsible for making hoax bomb threats.

Mumbai Crime Branch arrests man for impersonating doctor for 28 years | Mumbai News

Mumbai Crime Branch arrests man for impersonating doctor for 28 years
The impersonation came to notice after the Mumbai Crime Branch busted a racket involved in various fraudulent activities (Representative image)

MUMBAI: The Mumbai Crime Branch arrested a 50-year-old man on Sunday for allegedly impersonating a doctor for the last 28 years, running medical camps, treating patients and developing contacts in Bollywood among celebrities. The arrest was shown after the suspect, “Dr Dharmendra Kumar”, was called for inquiry by DCP (Crime) Raj Tilak Roushan in his crime detection chamber, where his alleged role in illegal financial activities came to light.The impersonation came to notice after the Mumbai Crime Branch busted a racket involved in various fraudulent activities. One of those earlier arrested was identified as Mohammad Gaus Ibrahim Khatib (52), a conman who went by the alias “Dr Raj Khatib”, for masquerading as a fake Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP). “Kumar also visited Dr Khatib’s medical camps and also celebrities are called in the camp,” said the officer.Mumbai Crime Branch DCP Raj Tilak Roshan said multiple First Information Reports (FIRs) were registered against the racket. “In pursuance of the received information, upon finding names of people and companies from Maharashtra and other states, project reports, etc., in the Flat owned Kumar, it has been revealed in the preliminary investigation that the scope of this crime extends to more than one state. “It has also been revealed that an embezzlement of approximately Rs10 crore rupees has occurred over the last three years,” said DCP Roushan.He said an identity card mentioning “Dr. Dharmendra Kumar”, a PAN card, visiting card, certificates issued by various organisations, medical treatment literature and other items were recovered from the suspect.Police said the operation was carried out by Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Anil Kumbhare, additional commissioner of Police (Crime) Krishna Kant Upadhyay, DCP Raj Tilak Roushan, ACP Dinkar Shilwat, Senior Inspectors Arvind Patil and Salman khan Pathan, and staff. They found Kumar allegedly impersonating a doctor, creating fake identity documents, opening bank accounts in various banks and, in collusion with other arrested associates, embezzling some amount through CSR funds over the last three years.Kumar’s arrest was carried out based on information received from the earlier arrested accused Khatib, along with a Jaipur businessman and an impostor who impersonated an IPS officer, in a fresh case of cheating. The case was registered after a Gujarat businessman lodged a complaint alleging the accused cheated him of Rs 16 lakh by posing as a DCP and promising to recover money allegedly owed to him from a builder.The Crime Branch last month arrested Khatib, his son Mashab Khatib and Shahid Kapadia, red-handed from a three-star hotel while trying to cheat a person seeking a loan. On Friday, it arrested Rajasthan businessman Rajesh Bedsingh Choudhary, 46, and Mohammed Khatib, who was already in custody in connection with a similar cheating case.The fresh complaint was filed by Sikander Kothari, who runs an OTT platform. He alleged he first met Rajesh Chaudhary and Naveen Sharma at Marine Drive in 2024, and they introduced Khatib as a serving DCP in the Mumbai Police. Investigators said Khatib reinforced the deception by showing photographs of himself in a police uniform bearing stars and insignia, and claimed he could recover the complainant’s investment from builder Kamal Sadhwani through his influence in the police force. Kothari alleged he paid Rs 98 lakh to Jadhwani and booked a flat, but he neither got the flat nor his money back.

Security guard sexually assaults 8-year-old girl in Mumbai restroom, hundreds protest outside police station | Mumbai News

Security guard sexually assaults 8-year-old girl in Mumbai restroom, hundreds protest outside police station
A large group assembled outside the police station to call for severe consequences for the accused

MUMBAI: A security guard was arrested on Sunday for allegedly sexually assaulting an eight-year-old girl inside a restroom in south Mumbai’s Pydhonie area, police said.The incident sparked massive protests outside the local police station, where hundreds gathered to demand strict action against the accused.The girl is undergoing treatment at a hospital following the incident, a police official said.The accused security guard was arrested shortly after a complaint was lodged, the official added.The alleged assault triggered a huge protest with hundreds of people gathering outside Phdhonie police station seeking exemplary action against the accused.The mob blocked the road outside the station, which disrupted traffic in the area for a brief while, the official said.“Police managed to disperse the mob and restore normalcy in the area,” he said.Eyewitnesses said some protesters also surrounded Maharashtra assembly speaker Rahul Narwekar when he arrived at Pydhonie police station after learning about the sexual assault incident.They raised slogans seeking strict action against the accused.Heavy police presence is in place in the area to prevent any flare-up or untoward incident, the official said.(With PTI inputs)

Amid inquiry, BMC says it can never certify all manholes in Mumbai have protective safety nets | Mumbai News

Amid inquiry, BMC says it can never certify all manholes in Mumbai have protective safety nets
On July 2, 55-year-old daily wage labourer, Aslam Shaikh, died after falling into an open sewage manhole where work of fitting a protective net was underway on Sakinaka’s Khairani Road

Mumbai: More than a week after a 55-year-old man died after falling into an open sewage manhole on Sakinaka’s Khairani Road, BMC said it can never claim that every manhole chamber in the city is fitted with a protective safety net, describing it as a continuous process.Replying to a discussion on the recent monsoon-related incidents in the civic house, additional municipal commissioner Vipin Sharma said BMC has installed safety nets on all identified manholes. However, new chambers are regularly created during road and utility works, while some existing nets are stolen or go missing. “We can never say that there isn’t a single manhole chamber left without a safety net because this is a continuous process. Whenever a net is found to be missing or a new chamber is created, it has to be fitted,” he added.BMC maintains more than one lakh manholes associated with the storm water drain and sewerage network, of which 96,383 have been fitted with protective safety nets. Around 1,800 manholes had been buried during previous road works and 4,446 had been reopened for infrastructure projects. As these works are completed, BMC has been reinstalling covers and protective safety nets.Sharma further said that the inquiry into the Sakinaka manhole death has almost been completed and the report will be placed before the civic house next week. The probe has also examined whether the contractor executing works at the site had a valid work order or whether the project was under the defect liability period (DLP).Officials privy to the inquiry said that the investigation team is focusing on who commissioned the work considering that the ward staff have claimed complete ignorance of the work Khairani Road. “It’s not possible that the work could have been carried out without any civic staff having commissioned it and therefore we are checking on this fact in detail. The civic staffers, who were suspended following this incident, have submitted their statements,” said an official.Open manholes have been under constant scrutiny following similar incidents in the past and even Bombay high court has repeatedly sought details from BMC on the measures being taken to secure manholes across the city.

Freight train engine failure disrupts Central Railway services of Mumbai suburban railway network | Mumbai News

Freight train engine failure disrupts Central Railway services of Mumbai suburban railway network
A brief disruption hit Central Railway on Sunday afternoon when a freight train’s locomotive encountered a technical issue between Vasind and Asangaon stations (Representative image)

MUMBAI: Rail traffic on Central Railway was briefly affected on Sunday afternoon after the locomotive of a freight train developed a technical fault between Vasind and Asangaon stations.According to railway officials, the engine of the goods train failed at around 2.42 pm, impacting train movements on the section.Several trains were delayed and some services were temporarily halted as a result of the disruption.Railway personnel rushed to the spot and immediately initiated inspection and repair work.After technical intervention, the locomotive was restarted at around 3.22 pm, and the freight train resumed its journey a minute later at 3.23 pm.