Bombay HC frowns at collector’s inaction against shanties near Charkop pond | Mumbai News

Bombay HC frowns at collector’s inaction against shanties near Charkop pond
HC frowns at collector’s inaction against shanties

Mumbai: Bombay HC on Tuesday expressed displeasure with the collector (suburbs) for not initiating immediate steps to remove encroaching shanties next to a pond in Charkop, Kandivli West, as directed on July 21.A bench led by Acting Chief Justice Ravindra Ghuge heard BMC’s petition for permission to beautify and conserve the pond due to the presence of mangroves. The judges commended BMC for the “amazing improvement” in cleaning up a major part of the natural pond by removing garbage. They noted the collector’s office “has hardly moved in the matter” except for issuing letters to officials. They sought his written explanation on Friday.

Maharashtra cabinet clears Rs 18 crore loan for BJP MLA’s sugar factory as ‘special case’ against norms | Mumbai News

Maharashtra cabinet clears Rs 18 crore loan for BJP MLA’s sugar factory as ‘special case’ against norms
National Cooperative Development Corporation loan proposals are routed through the state, which provides a guarantee for the sum

Mumbai: The Maharashtra cabinet has cleared a proposal for a loan of Rs 18 crore from the National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) for Shree Nilkantheshwar Shetkari Sahakari Sakhar Karkhana in Latur, whose chairman is BJP MLA Abhimanyu Pawar, as a “special case”.The proposal was cleared despite objections raised by the state sugar commissioner and finance department, which pointed out that the cooperative sugar factory did not fulfil conditions laid down in the state’s policy, TOI has learnt. Several ministers at the cabinet meeting also questioned the clearance, asking why other factories were not receiving similar exceptions, sources said.When contacted, Pawar, a close associate of chief minister Devendra Fadnavis, denied that the cabinet cleared the loan proposal as a special case, even though this was the term used in the government’s press statement.NCDC loan proposals are routed through the state, which provides a guarantee for the sum. In 2024, the factory had received an NCDC loan worth Rs 22.9 crore.TOI has learnt that the state sugar commissioner had informed the state cabinet that the factory was not eligible for an NCDC loan on several counts, according to the policy laid down on June 25, 2026. It had acquired cumulative losses worth Rs 108.9 crore and had exhausted its limit to raise external loans, he reportedly said. Also, it had received government assistance worth Rs 50 crore in 2023 and Rs 22.9 crore in 2024 and was still repaying those loans, the sugar commissioner said.The state finance department too reportedly said the factory was not eligible and the proposal should not be approved. It also said that other sugar factories would make the same demand and this would increase the financial burden on the state.Pawar told TOI: “This is not a special case. Other sugar factories have been given loans worth Rs 300-400 crore. This is a small sum.”He said that the factory had been closed for 15 years and was under liquidation and that he had managed to revive it last year. “The factory had received an NCDC loan in 2024 for expansion purposes. The loan proposal this year was for the repayment of loans owed to two cooperative banks. The factory also needs working capital and was classified as an NPA,” Pawar said.The Mahayuti government faces a debt of Rs 11 lakh crore, mainly the result of sops, including the state’s flagship Mukhya Mantri Majhi Laadki Bahin Yojana, which were announced before the 2024 assembly polls.

After particiapting in demolition drive, NMMC ward officer suffers a miscarriage | Mumbai News

After particiapting in demolition drive, NMMC ward officer suffers a miscarriage

Navi Mumbai: An assistant municipal commissioner of Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) had a miscarriage after allegedly being manhandled by a mob during a demolition drive.The razing exercise was conducted in Airoli Sector 2 on July 30. Further, NMMC has squarely blamed the city police for its inaction, according to the note filed by the civic body before Bombay High Court, a copy of which is with TOI.NMMC advocate Anil Anturkar mentioned the incident without naming the officer. She was surrounded by a few locals, and one among the mob allegedly referred to his contact with a minister.Confirming the incident, an NMMC official source said, “She had sought assistance from the civic chief prior to the demolition drives.” The official was seen in a video while participating in the demolition drive.Despite repeated attempts, deputy municipal commissioner (encroachment) Sanjay Shinde could not be reached for a comment.The HC bench was hearing the contempt petition filed by advocate Kishor Shetty with respect to a PIL on illegal constructions in Navi Mumbai. Between June 16 and July 7, NMMC submitted that action was taken against 63 illegal structures.In the note, NMMC said when the staff had proceeded for the demolition, a serious incident took place in which the mob attacked the civic staff. An FIR was filed on the evening of the same day with the local police. However, no action has been taken against the persons who have been named in the FIR.“Unless police authorities also spring into action, it would not be possible for the officers and employees of the municipal corporation to place their lives in jeopardy in the discharge of their statutory duties. Timely action by the police would inspire confidence,” NMMC’s note stated.NMMC’s note said it showed its readiness to produce the video in order to impress upon HC the seriousness of the situation and the inaction on the part of the police authorities, so that suitable directions may be issued.