Ghatkopar BEST canteen reopens after workers’ grievance raised by Shiv Sena (UBT) member | Mumbai News

Ghatkopar BEST canteen reopens after workers' grievance raised by Shiv Sena (UBT) member
The Ghatkopar BEST depot canteen has reopened after a week

MUMBAI: A week after the issue was raised at a BEST Committee meeting, the canteen premises at the Ghatkopar BEST depot has reopened, bringing relief to employees who had been deprived of the access.BEST committee member Nitin Nandgaonkar of Shiv Sena (UBT) on Tuesday said the canteen door was finally opened following intervention by the committee.The canteen service is yet to resume operations, it is learntThe controversy surfaced during the latest BEST Committee meeting when allegations emerged regarding the condition and management of the depot canteen.According to Nandgaonkar, the facility had become virtually unusable due to the absence of housekeeping staff.He claimed that employees were informed by the canteen management that they would have to clean the floor, tables and surrounding premises themselves before using the canteen, even if they were only visiting to eat food brought from home.Strongly objecting to the practice, Nandgaonkar said workers should not be expected to undertake cleaning duties during their limited meal breaks, as maintaining cleanliness is the responsibility of the canteen management and contractor.Following the matter being highlighted before the committee, the canteen door has now been reopened and can be used by staffers to eat their meals, a move Nandgaonkar described as a positive outcome for BEST employees at the depot.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *